Apple and Cinnamon go together like nothing else. Apple and Cinnamon Muffins are a great way to make your house smell deliciously spicy and are a quick way to use up a few apples.
Quick to whip up, basically combine the dry ingredients, wet ingredients, then combine together and stir through the apple cubes.
Baking initially on a higher temperature to get the muffin dome, and then lower the temp after 5 minutes for the remainer of the cooking time.
Serve with Salted Caramel sauce- or simply on their own.
This recipe makes 2 dozen standard muffins (12 hole tray)
This no-fail recipe is based on the Master Muffin Mix recipe from Sallys Baking Addiction here.
- 3 Large Apples (2 Cups), peeled and cubed.
- 3 cups (375g) Plain Flour
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (or- 1 cup milk with 1 tsp White Vinegar)
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius Fan Forced.
- Grease a 12 hole small muffin tin with spray or butter.
- Peel, Core and cut apples into small cubes
- In a large bowl, stir the Flour, both Sugars, Baking Powder, Bi-Carb Soda, Cinnamon and Salt together until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, using a whisk, lightly beat the Eggs, both Sugars and Vanilla together until well mixed.
- Add the Oil and Buttermilk and whisk in.
- Pour the wet ingredients into a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and using a wooden spoon stir together until just fully incorporated with no flour pockets. Do not overmix as this may cause the muffins to become tough.
- Add the apple pieces and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins, filling each one all the way to the top. Garnish each with a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 200 degrees. The muffins will have formed a nice domed peak.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 170 Celsius Fan Forced and continue to bake for 10-14 minutes.
- Muffins are cooked when firm to touch or inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Serve with homemade Salted Caramel Sauce