Possibly the fruitiest cake you will ever taste- besides a Christmas fruit cake- a total of three cups of fruit in one loaf tin!
Super moist and delicious, incredibly quick and easy to whip up too. Give this Apple Cranberry Cake a go, its very hard to go wrong and it’s pretty healthy as far as cakes go, very low fat and loads of fruit. The sugar is required as Cranberries are naturally quite tart.
You can substitute Cranberries for Blueberries if you prefer, and you can use fresh berries too instead of frozen (just be gentle with them when you stir them through at the end).
Serve cold or toast and serve with butter like you would with banana bread.
This recipe can easily be made gluten free too, see recipe here.
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 large apples (3 small) peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen cranberries (or blueberries)
- 2/3 Cup of Milk
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius, Fan Forced (or 180 Conventional)
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper, or grease and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, place the sifted Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Bi-Carb of Soda, Salt and Cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs lightly and whisk through the olive oil.
- Add the olive oil and egg mixture to the dry ingredients, stir until combined (it will look like bread crumbs).
- Now add the Milk and stir until just combined, the batter will be very thick.
- Gently stir through the cubed apples and frozen berries until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Pour into prepared cake tin, smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-65 minutes until firm in the centre or inserted skewer comes out clean.