So a good old fashioned Apple Crumble is a family favourite- and definitely one of mine.
This one has a bit of a twist by adding strawberries. You can try raspberries or blueberries instead or just plain old apple crumble.
I used canned apples in this recipe (2 large cans) however if you choose to make your own filling you will just need the equivalent of peeled, cored and quatered apples cooked in a covered saucepan with the water etc.. cooked until soft then go from there. Fresh apples is always best of course but for the time poor the canned will have to suffice.
- 2 x 800 gram Cans Apples (apple pie filling)
- 1 Cup Strawberries or blueberries- fresh or frozen is fine
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Tapioca
- 125 grams Unsalted Butter
- 175 gram Plain Flour
- 100 grams Sugar
- 50 grams Rolled Oats
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, fan forced.
- In a saucepan over medium heat place the apples, butter, spices, sugar and lemon juice.
- Dissolve the tapioca into the water and add to the fruit. Cook until thickened. Depending on the consistency of your apples from the can you may need to thicken more.
- Soften the butter- but do not melt. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the flour, rolled oats, vanilla and cinnamon, stir until the dry mixture is fully combined into the butter mixture. Using your hands to squeeze together clumps.
- Spoon filling into a large casserole dish or individual ramekins. Sprinkle the Crumble topping all over the top.
- As the filling is already cooked, simply bake until topping is crispy and golden brown and you can see the filling bubbling around the edges.
- Serve hot or cold with yoghurt or ice cream.