Blueberry Ricotta Lemon Zest Muffins
These muffins are so soft and melt in your mouth delicious. They are like little moist cakelets. Very moist thanks to the Ricotta. The Lemon Zest gives them an extra dimension of taste. They are really quick and easy to make.
Fresh Blueberries are best, great if you have them, otherwise use frozen ones as I did. However, frozen blueberries tend to bleed into the batter. To avoid this you may with to simply poke them individually into the muffins just prior to baking. If you don’t care about looks- simply mix them in!
- 375 grams Self Raising FLour
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 150 grams Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk
- 60 grams unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated Lemon Zest
- 250 grams Ricotta
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries (fresh or Frozen- frozen ones will bleed more when baking)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius, Fan Forced.
- Place 12 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray and set aside.
- Whisk the Self Raising Flour, Sugar and Cinnamon together into a large bowl until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the Eggs, Melted Butter and Milk together until pale yellow and thoroughly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Carefully stir through the Ricotta, Lemon Zest and 3/4 of the Blueberries.
- Spoon muffin batter into the muffin cases until they are 3/4 full or almost level to the top and finish by distributing the remaining Blueberries on top of each.
- Sprinkle with coarse white sugar to garnish (before baking) if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden or springy to touch.
This recipe is adapted from the Perfect Italiano website.