Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Carrot Cake is a wonderful, homely, spiced and moist cake that everyone loves. Also a great way to use up a few left over carrots.
This is an easy version without nuts. You can add some Walnuts or Pecans if you like, but in my group of friends that could result in severe anaphylaxis/death- so this is a great recipe for leaving them out!
There are many versions of Carrot cake out there, some have raisins/sultanas, or crushed pineapple in them for the sweetness, but i just wanted to start with a good, solid easy Carrot Cake recipe.
In this recipe I used Coconut Oil (because i ran out of Olive Oil) however you can use any Vegetable Oil. Olive is great as it also has a nice density, whereas Coconut is lighter, as are other vegetable oils.
You can also bake this in a Loaf tin, Bar tin or square Cake pan, make sure you grease and line with baking paper.
Cream Cheese Frosting is optional, you could replace this with a buttercream frosting or just dust with icing sugar to serve. I am not a big fan of icing sugar, but i don’t mind a cream cheese frosting. This cream cheese frosting comes from Martha Stewart. Domestic goddess. I would like to be her- minus the crime time.
- 3-4 Carrots, peeled and grated (approx 150-180 grams once grated)
- (3/4 Cup) 185 ml Coconut oil, melted (or Olive Oil)
- 3 eggs
- 1 Cup Self Raising Flour
- 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 Cup Golden Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon powdered Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered Cloves
- 250 grams Cream Cheese, softened (room temp)
- 125 grams Unsalted Butter, softened (room temp)
- 1 Cup Pure Icing Sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees, Fan Forced (or 170 Conventional).
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Into a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together (Both the flours, bi-carb and spices).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, Brown sugar, Vanilla, Golden Syrup until thoroughly combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Add the grated carrots and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for approx 50-65 mins until firm, or inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Wait until cool, and then make cream cheese frosting.
- With the cream cheese at room temperature, stir with a spoon to break it up and stir it until smooth.
- Add the room temperature butter and with an electric beater, beat until fully combined and no butter lumps remain.
- Add the Vanilla Extract and the Cinnamon (if using) and beat again until combined.
- Add the sifted Icing Sugar and beat until combined, scraping down the sides as needed (you can do this bit with a wooden spoon if you're worried about making a mess- or be sure to use a high sided bowl).
- Chill in the fridge for a little while before spreading on the chilled cake using a smooth edged knife. Alternatively you could pipe it on using a piping bag.
- Sprinkle with some cinnamon and brown sugar to garnish if desired.