Pecans… If you ever get a hold of them at a reasonable price you must make this recipe! It requires 2 cups of Pecans (250grams- about 2 average supermarket packets).
It’s absolutely brilliant!
This pie speaks for itself. It’s easy. Delicious. Simple. A little time consuming because of blind baking the pastry. You can always buy pastry flan cases- but I believe in making things from scratch as much as possible. I made double the pastry amount for this recipe and froze half for later.
Tip: If you want to serve it neatly, the secret is to freeze the pie once it’s made- freeze it completely- eg- overnight/ or for at least a few hours. Then slice it- you will get nice clean slices only when it is fully frozen. Then thaw the slices naturally for 15 mins before you serve, it thaws quickly. If you wish to serve it warm then reheat it in the oven.
If you plan on eating it fresh out of the oven and just can’t wait- it’ll be fine to cut warm, just not as neat.
- 60 grams Unsalted Butter, cubed
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 Tablespoon Iced Water
- 2 cups Pecans (250grams/2 standard packets)
- 1/2 Cup Golden Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 50 grams Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract/Essence
- To Make the Tart Case:
- Rub the butter into the sifted flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the Egg Yolks, Vanilla, Salt, Sugar and Iced Water.
- Stir to combine with a wooden spoon, knife or spatula, shape into a rough ball shape.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead lightly until a ball of dough forms, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes- or overnight if you wish to do the rest the next day. You can also freeze this dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, Fan Forced.
- Remove chilled pastry from fridge, roll out to the required size. You can do this on a lightly floured surface- or between two sheets of greaseproof or baking paper.
- Line the tart tin with pastry, press firmly into the edges and sides. Trim of excess with a knife.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Place baking paper inside the tart tin, fill with baking beads, rice or beans to prevent base bubbling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
- Prepare the filling in the meantime.
- Lightly whisk the eggs together, add the Vanilla, Golden Syrup, Brown Sugar, Melted Butter and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Place the pecans in the blind baked tart case, pour over the filling until tart case is almost full. Make sure the pecans are covered in filling and well coated.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes. The centre of the Pecan Pie should not be wobbly. Make sure you do not burn the pastry.
- Either serve warm, or cold.