OMG! You have not lived until you have tried this cake. This is so much better than gingerbread biscuits. And way less time consuming! It’s an incredibly moist, delectable cake with a delicate crumb. So soft and moreish. People will think it’s witchcraft it’s so soft! Try making it for your Christmas work party- or even Christmas day. It really is that good!
- 2 Cups (260 grams) Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cloves
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh/frozen ginger (optional)
- 120 grams Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup (110 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 Large Egg, at room temperature
- 2/3 Cup Golden Syrup
- 1 Cup Milk, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, Fan Forced with rack in the centre of the oven.
- Line a 20x20cm square line with baking paper. Or you could use a 20cm round tin with higher sides
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Plain Flour, Bicarbonate of Soda, Baking Powder, Salt, Ground Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, and grated ginger (optional).
- In a large bowl, beat the Butter and both the Sugars until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and beat well.
- Add the Golden Syrup and beat to combine scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed.
- Add the dry ingredients and the milk alternating between the two, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat just until incorporated.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes depending on your oven until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. (mine took 40- I have a slow oven)
- Dust with Icing Sugar to serve.
Recipe adapted from Joy Of Baking Best Website ever!