This Cheesecake is about as gingerbready as i could get it to be. It’s pretty darn good. For the gingerbread lover and the cheesecake lover it is the best of both worlds!
A crumbled gingerbread base with a no-bake cheesecake filling mixed with all the things that make gingerbread tasty (golden syrup brown sugar, ginger cinnamon etc)
The gingerbread recipe I used can be found Here. You will need half for the base, and the other half you can use to make decorations for the top of the cheesecake.
- 1 Quantity of gingerbread dough here
- 80 grams Unsalted Butter, melted
- 500 grams philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Ginger (2 teaspoons if you love ginger!)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cloves (1/4 is ok if you like cloves)
- 350 ml cream, whipped to soft peak stage
- Once you have made your gingerbread dough according to the instructions and chilled it properly: Bake half of it as a large slab and let cool (160 degrees celsius, fan forced- 10-12 minutes being careful not to over-cook). It's ok if its a little bit soft-baked, this will just make the base nice and chewy. Use the other half to bake miniature decorations for the top of the cheesecake. I made small stars, but gingerbread men and christmas trees are cute too.
- Prepare a large springform tin by lining the base with greaseproof paper and lightly spray the sides of the tin with oil or butter. My tin was about 23cm, use a smaller (2-cm) tin for a higher cheesecake. The cheesecake is quite rich so a larger tin is fine.
- When the gingerbread slab has cooled, process it until fine crumbs form. Mix thoroughly with the melted butter and place in the bottom of the prepared springform tin. Press down the crumbs firmly using the bottom of a cup or spoon, I made a wavy decoration around the edges of mine. Place in freezer for minimum of 10 minutes.
- Beat the cream in a medium bowl until soft peak stage, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese with the brown sugar until well combined. Add the golden syrup and spices and beat again until fully combined.
- Fold through the whipped cream and stir until well combined.
- Pour filling into prepared cheesecake base, smoothing down the top with a spatula and refrigerate a minimum of 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Decorate with gingerbread just prior to serving.