Think of an Apple pie crossed with a cake. Make it gluten free, dairy free and incredibly easy and you have a great afternoon tea cake. Spicy like a hot cross bun- it will make your kitchen smell beautiful! Gluten Free Apple Spice Upside Down Cake.
This recipe doesn’t get any easier. Basically you just need to beat the heck out of the eggs and sugar and fold through the almond meal- that’s the base to this incredibly easy almond meal based sponge cake. This is a great base for so many gluten free and dairy free cakes. Perhaps try it as a pineapple upside down cake??
If I were making this again, I would want to try and incorporate some grated apple into the cake for more moisture and flavour, but it would probably need to have the excess juice squeezed out. Try this variation if you’re keen and let me know how it goes.
Without further ado: Gluten Free Apple Spice Upside Down Cake!
- 3 Small Apples, cored and thinly sliced (peeling is optional)
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- A few drops of water
- 6 eggs
- 2 Cups Almond Meal
- 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Grease and line the base and sides of a round 9 inch (22cm) cake tin.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius, fan forced.
- Quarter and core the apples and cut into thin cresent shaped slices. You can peel them if you want to but this is not essential.
- Place apple slices into a heatproof bowl covered tightly with gladwrap and microwave for approx 2 - 3 minutes until softened.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond meal and spices until combined.
- Stir the brown sugar into the hot from the microwave apple slices, microwave again, covered, another 20 seconds. Stir to evenly coat.
- Strain the sugary syrup from the apples and reserve for later.
- One by one, arrange the apple slices concentrically in the base of the prepared tin, overlapping them, trying to fit them all in, the more apple the better!
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, vanilla and sugar on high for 8-10 minutes until light, fluffy and thick. You really need to do it for this amount of time.
- Once mixture has thickened to an almost meringue-like consistency, gently fold through the almond meal and spice mixture until just combined being careful not to over mix so as to not lose the incorporated air.
- Pour cake mixture over the arranged apples, smoothing down with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until golden brown and springy in the centre to touch, or skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to sit for 10 minutes before flipping upside down onto serving plate.
- Remove paper lining and then pour over the remaining sugar syrup. Serve warm or cold.