Jaffa Cake! This is a great recipe I slightly adapted from a recipe for “Lindas Orange Cake” in Margaret Fultons recipe book “Margaret Fultons Favourites”. It’s a really easy and quick version of an orange syrup cake with a dark chocolate frosting, and i swear it tastes just like chocolate jaffas.
Another fantastic quick and easy recipe from Mrs Fulton.
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 125 grams Unsalted Butter, melted
- Rind and Juice from 1 Orange.
- 3/4 Cup Orange Juice (1-2 Oranges)
- 2 Tablespoons White Sugar
- 125 grams good quality Dark Cooking Chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon Boiling Water
- 1 Tablespoon Cream, Sour Cream or Plain Yoghurt (sweet or not- it doesn't matter)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Clesius, Fan Forced.
- Grease and line the base of a 20cm cake tin with a baking paper round.
- Beat the egg yolks and the sugar until thick, pale and creamy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the egg yolk mixture and stir gently to just combine.
- Add the cooled melted butter, orange juice and rind and stir through until well combined, smooth and lump free.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks and then fold in to the cake batter.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until inserted skewer comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Leave to rest 5 minutes before pouring over orange syrup.
- Orange Syrup:
- Stir the orange syrup and sugar together until dissolved.
- Remove cake from tin after resting for 5 minutes. Place back in tin and pour over orange syrup, it will absorb well into the warm cake.
- Leave to chill in the refrigerator.
- Once Cake has sufficiently chilled, place the Chocolate in a metal bowl over another bowl of boiling water. Or -a gently simmering saucepan.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of boiling water in with the chocolate and stir until smooth and all chocolate has dissolved.
- Off heat, immediately stir through yoghurt or sour cream until smooth and thoroughly mixed.
- Ice cake with this mixture, either leaving smooth or leaving textured patterns in the frosting.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.