Peach Frangipane Tart. Another delicious French Classic! Combining seasonal Peaches in a sweet flan case with a deliciously light and fluffy custardy Frangipane filling. And yes! You can use canned peaches!
Frangipane is a delicious Almond-mealy custardy filling, very quick to whisk together, combining this with the peaches it’s like the easiest baked tart recipe providing you already have the flan case.
This recipe uses a Margaret Fulton flan base recipe combined with the Martha Stewart Frangipane filling. You could try Nectarines too- equally delicious!
I suggest cutting the peaches into no thicker than 1.5cm thick. Also not overloading with too much fruit (normally the more the better- however in this case you want to see some of the frangipane filling rising up around the peaches).
- Approx 3-4 peaches, halved, stone removed and cut into wedges 1-1.5 cm thick. (alternatively canned peaches, drained and patted dry)
- 60 grams Unsalted Butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 Cup Plain Flour, sifted
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 2 Tablespoons Iced Water
- 150 grams Unsalted Butter, softened
- 110 grams Caster Sugar
- 60 grams Plain Flour
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 90 grams Almond Meal
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Using a food processor with a pastry or blade attachment, process the Butter and the Flour together until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the Sugar, Salt, Vanilla, Egg Yolks and Iced Water.
- Process until mixture clumps into a ball of dough
- On a well-floured surface, knead lightly into a dough using the heel of your hand.
- Press into a flat disc shape, cover with gladwrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll out pastry to the required size on a lightly floured surface. Alternatively you can do this sandwiched between two sheets of baking paper if you wish.
- Line the 22-26cm flan tin with the pastry, pressing into the sides.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius, Fan Forced.
- Trim off the overhanging edges with a knife. Lightly prick the base several times with a fork.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 mins or freezer for about 10 minutes
- Place baking paper in the pastry base with baking beads on top to weight it down (or dried rice).
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove beads and baking paper. Reduce oven heat to 180 degrees Celsius
- Bake again for about 5-10 minutes until crust is golden (do not brown)
- Pastry base is ready to fill.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar using electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one beating until thoroughly combined. Add one Tablespoon of the Flour and beat in until combined.
- Add the remaining Flour, Almond Meal, Baking Powder and Vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the peaches: Cut into halves, remove the stones. Cut into wedges 1-1.5 cm thick.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius, Fan forced.
- Spread Frangipane filling into prepared tart case. Fill to about 1/2- 2/3 full, as frangipane does rise a bit when baking.
- Arrange the cut peaches concentrically on the top.
- Bake for approx 30 until frangipane filling has set and is lightly golden. Time will vary depending on your oven, size of dish etc..
- Dust with Icing Sugar to serve