Easy Orange Juice Poached Pears
This recipe for Orange Juice Poached Pears was always a childhood favourite of mine, I suppose my fascination with fruit was why i was affectionately dubbed “Fruit Bat”by my dad…
These Poached Pears are very quick and easy to make, a great way of using up slightly soft pears (i like mine crunchy) or if you’re lucky enough to have a pear tree. And surprise surprise, you can also do this with apples (try apples stuffed with sultanas or dried apricots then microwaved).
In this recipe i have peeled the pears, it’s best this way but you don’t absolutely have to. Also it’s quite nice if you halve them, or just core the centre and poach them whole. Whatever you prefer. You can even leave the centre in as they look quite fancy served with the stem on. I rate this an A1 recipe for a quick healthy dessert.
Serve with some yoghurt or ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon if you like! Enjoy one of my all time favourites!
- 4 large pears
- 250 ml orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 6 cloves or 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (or less depending on whether you like cloves or not)
- Peel the pears carefully, cut into slices, halves, or core and leave whole or alternatively leave the stem and core in.
- Place into a microwave proof dish, cover in Orange juice, add spices and gently stir through to coat. Try to submerge pears as much as possible.
- Cover dish with gladwrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes, stopping once to turn over or stir.
- Pears should be cooked and soft by now but if not microwave a few more minutes.
- Best served warm with a dob of yoghurt.