So quick and easy, these Puff Pastry Cheese Twists are a great snack to whip up. Great for lunch boxes, to add to platters, with dips, or just a snack. great for using up an extra sheet of puff pastry or three.
If you only have one sheet of puff pastry spare, cut it into equal halves or thirds, if you have two or three- even better! You can make more!
With this recipe you can make double layers or triple layers, i will show you how to do triple. If you do double you can afford to cut them thinner as they will be easier to twist up.
As for the cheese, Cheddar is fine, Swiss Cheese is great, Parmesan, Pecorino or similar would be the most flavorful. Just be careful with the oilier cheeses (such as Cheddar) the overall result will be oilier. Parmesan is great as it certainly adds flavour, however if you are making these in any great quantity it can get pricey.
You can add chopped chives to the mix, or some fresh cracked pepper or even a sprinkle of garlic powder for flavour. Finely chopped pre-cooked bacon pieces are a great addition too, the options are many, however the basic principles will be the same.
These are great for kids to have a go at making too!
- 3 Sheets Puff Pastry (good quality eg Pampas)
- 1/ 1/2 Cups grated Cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Parmesan etc)
- 1 egg, whisked
- Separate three sheets of frozen Puff Pastry, leave on their backing sheets
- Line two oven trays with baking paper or silicone mats.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius Fan Forced
- Lightly whisk the egg.
- Brush entire surface of one of the sheets with the beaten egg.
- Coat with half of the grated cheese, making sure to spread all the way to the edges.
- You can add some chives or bacon if you wish: like this:
- Place the second sheet of puff pastry on top, coat this sheet with egg and spread with the rest of the cheese.
- Place the third sheet on top of this, press down firmly all over with your fingertips.
- Cut into strips approx 1.5cm wide. Then cut these in half.
- Twist each strip several times from the middle outwards, gently press down the ends so they don't unravel. Carefully coat the up-side with egg. Scatter with cracked pepper if you like.
- Bake until puffy and suitably golden.
- Leave to cool.
- Store in airtight container for a few days- try to avoid moisture or they will become soggy.