Sticky Date pudding is an all time Winter favourite. A very simple recipe, that is quick to make and best served warm with the accompanying butterscotch sauce and perhaps some cream or ice cream. This recipe makes individual portions using cupcake tins. You can make the batter ahead of time too and refrigerate and bake half an hour before serving.
- 340g Pitted Dates
- 600ml Water
- 2 Teaspoons Bicarbonate Soda
- 125g butter- softened
- 1 1/2 cups Caster Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 3 Teaspoons baking powder
- 250g Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Thickened cream
- 400g brown sugar (dark brown if you have it)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, Fan Forced.
- Prepare your cupcake tin by greasing with butter and dusting lightly with flour.
- Place the dates in a small saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil. Simmer until the dates and water form a thick dark brown mixture and the dates are virtually disintegrating.
- Take the dates off the heat and stir in the Bicarbonate of Soda- the mixture will froth and foam. Leave to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until mixed, add each egg one at a time and mix in. Mix until pale and creamy.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder with a spoon and then stir in the date mixture which should have cooled down by now.
- Beat the mixture with the electric mixer so the dates blend in and break up.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cupcake tins and bake for 20-30 minutes (until a skewer comes out clean).http://34c.aba.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/f74b9e9f3dcef46e6ecec5e2e1f8bcc6.jpg
- To make the butterscotch sauce: Place butter, brown sugar and cream into a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil stirring occasionally.
- The ingredients will melt and become thick and dark brown.
- After boiling for a several minutes remove from the stove and sit to rest until served. Sauce will thicken upon cooling. You may want to reheat this to serve.