If you love a Summer Sponge Cake, you will love being able to quickly whip up this Foolproof Sponge Cake with a very quick and easy strawberry filling. You can use either Mascarpone or Cream Cheese in this filling. You could also substitute for a very stiff whipped cream if you are serving shortly after putting together (as cream on its own is more likely to melt).
See handy hints and tips for making the sponge here.
Enjoy this delicious recipe!
- 250 gram Punnet of Strawberries, washed, dried and halved.
- 1/3 Cup Strawberry Jam
- 125 grams Cream Cheese (softened) or Mascarpone
- 250 grams Thickened Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar (only if using Cream Cheese instead of Mascarpone- for a fresh flavour)
- 4 eggs
- 1 Cup Self Raising Flour
- 2/3 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius, Fan forced, OR 180 degrees Celsius Conventional. I prefer a conventional oven for this kind of recipe.
- Grease and line your tin (either 2x20cm or 1x23cm) with a baking paper round. Then, grease again and lightly dust the base and sides with flour, tap out the excess. You may choose to line the sides of your tin if using a tin with perfectly perpendicular sides.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs using an electric beater on high, for 5 minutes. You need to incorporate lots of air into the eggs so they increase in volume and turn thick and pale. 5 minutes!
- Add the sugar in stages, 2 Tablespoons at a time and continue to beat until well incorporated, thick and aerated.
- Sift over the flour and using a metal or silicon spoon, fold through until just incorporated and no flour pockets remain, do not overmix at this stage or cake will lose air and be tough and flat.
- Divide the batter between the two tins (or one larger).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until cake is light and springy to touch in the centre.
- Rest cake for 5 minutes before removing from the tin. Leave on wire rack to cool completely before filling.
- If cutting cake in half, i suggest freezing for half an hour before doing so (or refrigerating) (after cake has reached room temp).
- In a medium bowl, whip softened Cream Cheese or Mascarpone with the Pure Icing Sugar and Vanilla until thoroughly combined. Add the Vinegar if using and beat further to incorporate.
- Whip cream in a large bowl using electric beaters until soft peaks form.
- Add the Mascarpone/Cream Cheese to the whipped cream, beat to combine until mixture is thick and smooth.
- Refrigerate until cold and cake is ready to be filled.
- Slice Strawberries in half. Make sure they are dry- you do not want to be butting any moisture into the filling of this cake, otherwise the strawberry juice will run.
- Microwave Strawberry Jam in a heatproof jug or bowl for 1 1/2-2 minutes until bubbling.
- Stir until lump free, set aside until mostly cooled before using.
- Spread Mascarpone filling on both halves of cake.
- On one side, arrange halved strawberries.
- Pour over the mostly cooled, melted Jam.
- Carefully place top half of sponge onto the strawberry half.
- Lightly dust top of cake with Pure Icing Sugar using a fine metal mesh sieve.
- Garnish with strawberry pieces.