This Tangy Lemon Drizzle Cake is a really quick and easy recipe to mix up before popping into the oven. Very simple but delicious with it’s tangy lemon syrup which is poured over the cake when both the cake and syrup are warm for maximum absorption. I haven’t met anyone who didn’t love a good lemon drizzle cake.
You can make this cake in a loaf tin as I did, or you could use a round or square cake tin (approx 20 cm), it’s up to you.
Basically beat up the sugar eggs and butter, add the zest, fold through the dry ingredients and milk, bake, then pour over the syrup!
Make sure the tin is properly lined with baking paper, if not- don’t pour over the syrup until the cake is out of the tin. If your cake cracks in a loaf tin that’s ok, pretty normal for a loaf tin, mine didn’t but they usually do.
- 125 grams Unsalted Butter, softened
- 125 grams Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 185 grams Self Raising Flour (approx 1 1/2 level Cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- Zest and juice from 2-3 Lemons
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar, extra
- Grease and line the base and sides of a loaf tin or 20cm round tin with baking paper.***
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius, Fan Forced
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one by one until a light, pale and creamy consistency.
- Add the lemon Zest and in several stages, fold through the flour and milk, alternating between the two until well combined and you have a thick cake batter. You can use an electric mixer on very low speed if you wish but it could be messy.
- Pour batter into tin, smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes until the cake is golden brown in colour and firm and springy in the centre.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately make the syrup.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine strained lemon juice and the extra sugar (more or less as preferred), bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved and syrup becomes clear.
- With a skewer, poke holes in the cake (about 25 holes) and then whilst syrup and cake are both warm, spoon over the lemon juice syrup until all absorbed, it will absorb straight in to the cake.
- Leave to sit 10 minutes and then remove cake from the tin. Note*** (Do not pour syrup over cake whilst it it in the tin unless you have properly lined the tin!! If you haven't lined the tin in paper, remove cake from the tin before spooning over the syrup.)
- Serve warm or cold.